Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Flattery

I was walking home in East Boston this evening when a man called out, "Excuse me, excuse me." This caught my attention right away, since most of the time I hear something more like, "Hooolaaa Sinoreeeeta."

"Are you from Europe?" He asked. "No, but I lived in Berlin for a while," I am never slow to admit this connection I have with that electric city.

Admittedly, this is an odd question to ask a stranger in the street. I was intrigued.

"You have great European style." Well, that is most definitely my superficial compliment of choice- he had won my attention.

"You have great European style. I'm from France. I like your style. You have beautiful eyes, too." The eyes thing had gone a bit far for my comfort level, and I knew where this was heading....

"Well, tell you husband that he is very lucky man. I don't know what to say, tell your husband that he is a very lucky man."

It's nice to get a compliment from a strange Frenchman on the street, even if I am taken.

3 comments:

Jerry Plagge, Jr. said...

Zakcq prennent garde!

John Goering said...

Whoa, SO smooth. I almost wish I was a single so I could learn to become that smooth with women I've never met.

Almost. :)

Anna said...

Well personally, I like it when I get comments in Spanish, but I guess that is because I would like a Spanish speaking boyfriend. . .