Monday, August 22, 2005

Definition

There is an immence amount of pressure that comes with writing the first entry on one's first blog. It is a first impression. It defines who I am. It sets the tone for what my blog will become. This pressure has, in fact, delayed the launch of la bostonienne. Z actually set up the blog for me. Thinking of a name was just too much. So, the names, colors, set-up do not represent my preferences, necessarily, but his perceptions of what I prefer.

What should be the topic of my first essay? I could write about something so completely superficial as the article about Jennifer Aniston in this month's Vanity Fair. However, this tiny curiosity about the life of this cultural icon does not fully express who I wish to portray to the world.

Conversely, I could post one of the papers I have written in the past year. The Cypriot conflict, Ghanaian political culture and the Noam Chomsky's views on the War on Terror could make interesting topics. But they can also be a little dry and impersonal.

I could write about strange things I see around Boston. For example, a seventy year old man made an interesting display of social rebellion one morning as we were both waiting for the T. An announcement which has become quite frequent since the London bombings had just been played over the loudspeaker. "This is the MBTA chief of police...now, more than ever, it is important that you, the riders, be observant of unauthorized bags...so, if you see something, say something." The old man grunted, and took out a white paper lunch bag. On one side the bag said "If you see something, say something, like SHUT UP!" The other side of the bag said "unauthorized bag." The man proceeded to put the bag on his head, as I stared in bemused disbelief. Something I would expect from a rebel in his teens or twenties was coming from an elderly man. I laughed (maybe a little too loudly) but I was also pleased to see that he was willing to break from the social norms to promote his ideals- whatever they may be (refusing to be a slave to fear? or authority?)

Anyway, I enjoy reading everyone elses blogs, so I thought I might contribute a bit. I hope I've made a neutral first impression so that I can shape who I am through future entries.

Peace,
Jessica

3 comments:

John Goering said...

First post! :)
That story is awesome, I would have laughed just as loudly, I think.

Oh, and I agree it's a better choice for your first entry than the Cypriot conflict.

Still - long live enosis!

Anna said...

Jessica you are such a good writer! I hope you write a lot!

Rogena said...

I laughed out loud. Bless the old man. That was great!